Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Too much of a good thing?

I was at a meeting the other night where a woman made a comment I haven't been able to get out of my mind. She said something to the tune of, "I don't believe in buying organic products when half the world is starving to death." At first I thought she had a good point. But, the more I've thought about it the more I see the faulty thinking. Here are some random but related thoughts I have:
1. While it looks different here than it does in third-world countries, Americans are starving as well. Certainly we don't appear to be starving, with the obesity rates. But, what about nutritionally? Aren't we starving ourselves TRUE nourishment? Are we not sicker and more infertile than we have ever been? I heard some shocking statistics recently...forgive my lack of footnotes...I can't remember where I read them. 25% of male college-age students are infertile. 40+% of women in child-bearing years are infertile. This says nothing of the vitality and health of the rest of us. We're diabetic, allergy-laden, brain-starved, and depressed...and dying off due to infertility.

2. I believe that we cannot fully minister to others in our current condition. Perhaps if I give my family not just organic, but truly nutritional foods, they will be better equipped to meet the needs of those around them and those around the world.

3. The industry that promotes cheap, processed, nasty food is corrupt and self-serving. Most of them know full well the hazards of eating their own food, and yet they promote it as being "healthy." As a believer I feel personally moved to support local, organic farmers sustain their lively-hood in producing safe, nutritional whole foods.

4. I am absolutely passionate about finding ways to get third-world countries food that will also nourish and promote life-long health! I have been learning more about ministries that do just that and will hopefully post on that soon!

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I don't think I'm right about everything, these are just my initial thoughts and ideas on the matter. Comment and let me know how you feel!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,

I think you are absolutely right on target! I love how you have so thoroughly thought through this (okay, that's a tongue twister). I agree with all of your points. We are starving ourselves of nutrition! We can't just fill our bellies and call that good. We have to be good stewards of our bodies as well. And if the food companies aren't looking out for our best interests, then who is responsible for health--US! You are a beacon of wisdom in a nutrient-deprived world! I love this "deep thought" side of you!

wendy rains said...

DARN...I heard that comment made by a friend of mine that I have had this very conversation with...I think the argument that I was hoping would hold water was that it is an over-indulgent expenditure if you are still on both sides of the fence w/ food (ie is organic meat really worth it if you are going to have a Pepsi & french fries w/ it?)...but I have come to believe that it is possible that one change in diet could lead to a fuller, healthier life of service.

Stubborn Hope said...

Wendy, I have no idea how I didn't see this comment before! Please don't misunderstand...there is no judgment here about what she said. Just a challenge to that mentality. I completely agree that eating an organic steak with pepsi seems a little crazy! :)

Deborah said...

Good thoughts, Emily. Actually, GREAT thoughts! :)

Paul and DeeDee said...

Hi, I just found your blog and really don't know a lot about organic foods and natural medicines but would like to find out more. I did enjoy this post and thought I would point you to okanagangleaners.ca

Lenetta said...

I searched around to find you after copying your recipe for butternut squash soup when your kitchen was featured at Happy to be at home. Before I get side tracked, I wanted to ask - two whole teaspoons of black pepper??? I found it so spicy that I couldn't taste anything else. Maybe your palates are tougher than mine? :>)

Now, on to the topic at hand, if I may. My hubs is a farmer and raises cattle, nothing organic or all-natural, just the current industry standards. I've just begun reading Nourishing Traditions and am having trouble getting past the intro - it's a lot to (ahem) digest at once - and looking at eating healthier.

In a discussion on organic food production, hubs commented that he doesn't think we could produce enough food to feed the world using only organic measures. I read an article a while back that the UN says food production is going to need to increase substantially. I can't remember the exact numbers, but I think it was 50% in 20 years, maybe?

This isn't something that I'm particularly researching right now, more it's something rattling around in my head. Without the advances in agricultural technology, our food supply would be considerably more unstable at best. Yet I completely agree that the processed foods are bad, bad things. Is there a balance somewhere?

The little one is awake . . . if you happen to want to at least respond to the black pepper in the soup :>) you can e-mail me at nettacow at yahoo dot com. Thanks!